Unintended Consequences: Vets Treating More Pups for Ingested Marijuana

16th June, 2014
Here’s an odd bit of news out of Colorado: Denver veterinarians are reporting a marked increase in dogs treated for ingestion of marijuana. It appears as though more dogs than ever are getting into their owners’ stashes, perhaps as an indirect result of the recent decriminalization of marijuana in the state. Some vets note that the number of dogs treated has increased sharply since January 1, 2014 — the date the law went into effect. The issue, it seems, is edibles. Owners baking pot brownies or pot cookies are accidentally leaving those goodies where dogs can reach. And while a bit of marijuana baked into a brownie might not pose a serious health risk to an adult human with the self-control not to eat an entire batch, dogs are much smaller and aren’t known for their ability to stop eating before the plate is empty. Marijuana causes serious symptoms in dogs, with large doses resulting in urinary incontinence, disorientation, seizures, and even comas. Veterinarians have two suggestions for pet owners who also dabble in creative baking: Keep your edibles out of reach of your pups, and don’t hesitate in taking the dog to the vet if he does end up ingesting a plate of pot brownies. There’s no antidote for a marijuana overdose but your veterinarian can advise you on the best steps to take for getting your pup back to his happy, healthy self.   About the Author: Craig Davis is VP of Vet Organics, a company which produces effective and safe natural remedies for dogs and cats. Unintended Consequences: Vets Treating More Pups for Ingested Marijuana обновлено: January 25, 2017 автором: admin_1

Vets Treating More Pups for Ingested MarijuanaHere’s an odd bit of news out of Colorado: Denver veterinarians are reporting a marked increase in dogs treated for ingestion of marijuana. It appears as though more dogs than ever are getting into their owners’ stashes, perhaps as an indirect result of the recent decriminalization of marijuana in the state. Some vets note that the number of dogs treated has increased sharply since January 1, 2014 — the date the law went into effect.

The issue, it seems, is edibles. Owners baking pot brownies or pot cookies are accidentally leaving those goodies where dogs can reach. And while a bit of marijuana baked into a brownie might not pose a serious health risk to an adult human with the self-control not to eat an entire batch, dogs are much smaller and aren’t known for their ability to stop eating before the plate is empty. Marijuana causes serious symptoms in dogs, with large doses resulting in urinary incontinence, disorientation, seizures, and even comas.

Veterinarians have two suggestions for pet owners who also dabble in creative baking: Keep your edibles out of reach of your pups, and don’t hesitate in taking the dog to the vet if he does end up ingesting a plate of pot brownies. There’s no antidote for a marijuana overdose but your veterinarian can advise you on the best steps to take for getting your pup back to his happy, healthy self.

 

About the Author: Craig Davis is VP of Vet Organics, a company which produces effective and safe natural remedies for dogs and cats.

Unintended Consequences: Vets Treating More Pups for Ingested Marijuana обновлено: January 25, 2017 автором: admin_1
Stay In touch with Vet-Organics
Join A Community of Pet Lovers
Exclusive Deals and Benefits
Monthly Pet Health News and Tips

Related Articles

Testimonials
Testimonials
EcoEars by Vet Organics fixed our girl's ears in the first couple of days & she was a whole new, happy dog again. THANK YOU Vet Organics!!!
Nikki Wiedmer
Thank you for the peace of mind that my dog is not in discomfort anymore, thank you for this product being organic and good for our dog's ears, and seriously thank you for giving us an option to help our old pup with a product we can afford.
Melissa Block Demant
I used this product for my Boston last summer. Worked awesome. In 2 days, I've seen a improvement. Within 4 days, the infection was gone. My pit bull started having an issue with his right ear. It was bad. It was so infected. I used EcoEars twice a day and again it worked like magic!! 4 days have passed and you can't even tell he had an ear issue!! I will never use anything else. This stuff is fantastic!! Thank you Vet Organics for such an amazing product!!
Tina Neupauer
EcoEars is a great product! I used it in my Lacey's ears and we haven't had any problems since.
Bonnie Schweitzer
This stuff really works--after spending money at the vet @ $25 a bottle, it's saving me a lot of money.
José Olivo
*Results may vary based on factors such as age, size and physical condition of your pet.
Vet Organics supplements are manufactured from natural and organic materials known to improve a pet's health regimen and quality of life. If you suspect that your pet may be suffering from a severe medical condition, consult your veterinarian immediately.