Cold Weather Tips & Temperatures
The idea that all dogs can survive all cold weather conditions just because they have a fur coat is a misconception. Fur can provide protection, but just like humans, they aren’t impervious to all weather.
The cold weather can be a time for colds and lowered immune systems. We can take a little vitamin C and other boosters when we feel under the weather, but our pups need us to do this for them. One of the best cold weather tips out there is to use EcoImmune - an important powdered supplement that boosts immunity and strengthens our fur-babies resistance to the common dog-cold.
Winter Skincare Isn’t Just For HumansWinter air has a drying effect, and it sucks the moisture out of everything. Pets can suffer from dry winter skin just like anyone else, and it can be tough to detect with that layer of fur. There are plenty of cold weather tips that can help in this area.
- Take shorter walks more often. The shorter length will limit the risk of frostbite. If we add a little olive oil to the hair between their toes, it will help prevent ice and snow buildup that can irritate their paws.
- Invest in a quality humidifier to run in the winter months. Not only will it keep sinuses and eyes from feeling dry, but it will help everyone’s skin maintain a healthy moisture barrier.
- Instead of shaving our pups, we can choose a moisturizing conditioner at bathtime and limit baths to longer intervals. Fewer baths will help ensure their natural oils can build a protective layer.
- If we towel dry our canine companions when they return from a walk or come inside to warm up, we’ll help them warm up more quickly and will reduce the amount of moisture-sucking evaporation their skin has to withstand.
- Fashion can be functional. Booties can be useful to protect paws from snow and ice if our pups can wear them comfortably. Those adorable rain jackets and windbreakers also have a purpose this time of year.
This can be a magical time of year for the whole family, but only if we recognize the needs of those around us, our fur-babies included. These cold weather tips are a great checklist to make sure we are all keeping our pups happy, healthy, and warm. Please send us your best pics of your canine companions in their fashion-forward winter wear. And don’t forget that EcoImmune is your pup’s best immunity defense year-round, but during the winter months, in particular.