If you've been looking for a bottom-line answer regarding the use of CBD pet products, you're in the right place. We've got the latest regarding CBD safety, healthy uses for pets, and choosing the right CBD product for your pet. Before we get started on pet products, let's cover a few quick basics, everyone needs to understand regarding CBDs.
A quick primer: What you need to know about CBD products
Cannabis is becoming legal in an increasing number of states, and CBD products are becoming more and more popular. However, there are several misconceptions about cannabis and its effects on the body. There are two cannabinoids, chemical compounds naturally found in cannabis, called THC and CBD.
THC stands for tetrahydrocannabinol. It's the part of the cannabis plant that is associated with getting people high or causing a euphoric effect.
CBD, on the other hand, stands for cannabidiol and does not cause the euphoric results people often associate with cannabis. Instead, CBD is derived from hemp and is used in medications and other mediums to alleviate pain, treat epilepsy, improve depression, and so much more. A growing body of scientific evidence describes the positive effects of CBD oil as well as tinctures, and other forms.
Dr. Vail, DVM, is a respected veterinarian in Colorado. When asked about the effects of CBD oil on dogs and cats, her response was, "well, we just don't know. It looks like the benefits are wide-ranging, and we have a great deal of hope for the future of CBD in veterinary medicine. While there's plenty of anecdotal evidence, and the current scientific studies point to CBD as a valuable tool in pet health, there aren't enough long-term studies in place for the use of CBD in the everyday veterinarian practice. It's currently an unregulated industry. Consumers need to trust the seller, and dosages contained hemp and CBD pet products, but I encourage people to experiment with high-quality products. For those who are concerned, they can try these products under the supervision of a veterinarian."
EcoHemp soft chews are specially formulated to provide a full spectrum profile of synergistic compounds that are naturally present in phytocannabinoid-rich organically grown hemp. Each premium, all-natural, calming soft chew has a tasty beef flavor dogs love and is easily digested. EcoHemp contains no THC and can safely be used as a regular part of your dog's diet. As a trusted source of dog and cat supplements and remedies, Vet Organics understands that pets are family. EcoHemp can be used to help dogs who are suffering from pain, arthritis, inflammation, seizures, stress, and separation anxiety. Try EcoHemp today to see the difference for yourself.
Many dog owners are starting to realize the legitimate health benefits of alternative treatment options for certain health conditions. The efficacy of CBD oil has been widely recognized in recent years, and substantial anecdotal evidence suggests that it can help with a variety of issues in dogs, including:
- Neuropathic pain relief, or pain caused by nerve, spinal, or brain injury or disease.
- Controlling seizures, particularly in dogs with epilepsy that do not respond to epileptic drugs.
- Reducing inflammation, as well as anxiety.
- Preventing or treating nausea.
- Stimulating appetite.
- Cardiac, and even anti-cancer benefits.
How to use CBD oil in dogs
It is highly likely that your pooch will be averse to the taste, smell, and texture of plain CBD oil. Instead, here are some tricks we can try to get CBD oil and your dog to mix.
- Add the oil to Fido's usual meal.
- Mix the oil with or add a few drops to Fido's favorite treat.
- Find a CBD-infused dog food product, such as EcoHemp, that Fido will like.
- Try the direct method: placing a few drops of CBD oil into his mouth, or using a spoon to give it to him.
How to choose the right CBD oil
If your veterinarian has given you the go-ahead to use CBD oil for Fido, here are some pointers on selecting the right product. You should only get high-quality CBD oil for your dog
- Choose organic, all-natural CBD oil whenever possible. If buying non-organic CBD, make sure the product does not contain toxic ingredients, such as fungicides, pesticides, or heavy metals.
- Stay away from CBD oil products that contain unrecognizable additives.
- Opt for CBD oil or tincture. This will make it easier for you to adjust the dosage, drop by drop, while you monitor the oil's effects on Fido. CBD-infused dog treats and other food products are also available. Always test a small amount first.
- Don't be cheap. High-quality and high-purity CBD oil will be more costly, but you will be assured that it is also safer for your dog.
- Check the label and product pages for a product description. A high-quality CBD product will indicate the amount of cannabidiol used as well as indicate that there is minimal or zero THC in the product.
- Do your research. With proper research, you should be able to find reputable manufacturers of CBD oil products that are specially made for pets. Take the time to read customer reviews, both positive and negative.
We only want what's best for our fur-babies; alternative therapies do not always mean giving them less than the best. And while CBD oil is a form of alternative medicine, we should still seek expert advice and be actively involved in searching for the best products to help alleviate symptoms in our dogs.
- "Pets and CBD: Why Your Veterinarian Can't Talk About It and How to Change That" Preventative Vet
- "CBD Oil for Dogs: What You Need to Know" AKC
- "Could CBD Keep An Anxious Pet Calm During Fourth Of July Fireworks? We Asked The Experts" Huffington Post
- "A Little CBD to Take the Edge Off—For Your Pet?" The Wallstreet Journal