We have reported on this before, but the trend continues. Regardless of how you may feel about humans using marijuana, one thing is certain: Dogs and cats should not be eating pot brownies or breathing pot smoke. Unfortunately, as marijuana becomes more socially acceptable (and, in some cases, legal), veterinarians across the country are noticing an uptick in the number of pets treated for marijuana poisoning. Because marijuana affects dogs and cats differently than humans, it is easy for pet owners to overlook the potential risks of having pot in the house. In the majority of marijuana pet poisoning cases, pets were treated after they ingested marijuana either directly or indirectly (via pot brownies, cookies, or drinking bong water). However, pets have also been treated for secondhand smoke, depending on the marijuana and the individual pets. Marijuana has serious health risks for animals and can cause seizures, urinary incontinence, and even death. Cats are more likely to be affected by smoke than dogs. There’s another complication. Pet owners are often reluctant to admit what has happened with their pet, making it harder to get accurate numbers on marijuana poisonings. Because pet owners are worried about animal cruelty charges or police involvement due to the drug, they’re sometimes can’t bring themselves to explain the full issue to the vet. If you think your dog or cat is suffering from marijuana poisoning, it’s always best for you and the animal to be honest with the vet so appropriate treatment can be deployed. About the Author: Craig Davis is VP of Vet Organics, a company which produces effective and safe natural remedies for dogs and cats.