National Mutt Day is celebrated on July 31st and on December 2nd every year.
I'm a mutt and I am worth celebrating...
Every day there are millions of loving, healthy, mutts waiting for forever homes in shelters across the country.
The Mixed Breed ‘Pro’ ColumnFor one thing, mixed breed dogs tend to be healthier and live longer than purebreds. That’s partly because they don’t carry as many genetic weaknesses that breeding has built into many breeds.
We are healthier and live longer...
We, mutts, are better behaved! Pick me! Pick me!
We can do the same jobs as pure breeds.
Ways to Celebrate National Mutt Day
- We can open our home to a mixed breed dog from our local no-kill shelter. A loving heart and a healthy, happy home are a sanctuary to a mixed breed who might otherwise stay caged for months or even years.
- We can share this article across our personal social media platforms. Even if we are busy on National Mutt Day, sharing the day and its importance will help educate and inspire others to celebrate.
Let’s open our home to a mixed breed dog from our local no-kill shelter.
- Shelters often need volunteers. We can read to lonely strays. We might walk and play with pups who could use a break from the concrete and fencing. Asking the local shelter how we can help is the first step.
- Sharing is caring. We might share the story and picture of a mixed breed dog that is up for adoption. Every pup has a story, and even those who are a mystery to us can be a perfect fit for the right family. The only way they’ll be found is if we take a great picture and help get the word out.
Let’s share the story and picture of a mixed breed dog that is up for adoption.
- Crafting is fun and productive. We can craft some special beds, blankets, toys, or other treats for dogs at the local shelter and know that the comfort will be shared among all pups, mixed and purebred. For crafty ideas, check out one of our articles about Crafting For Local Shelters .
- Donate. A little cash from the sofa cushions can help. Or shop for swag that gives back. Every dollar counts and as little as $5 can feed a shelter dog. Or, there are many companies selling products with a percent reserved for a shelter. Food donations are often a welcome sight, too. We just need to call ahead to see what is needed.
Share your mutt adoption story with us!
Adoption is a big part of National Mutt Day. Check out the family of natural, organic, and powerfully effective Vet Organics products to keep mutts and households happy, healthy, and bug-free.