Here’s an odd bit of news out of Colorado: Denver veterinarians are reporting a marked increase in dogs treated for ingestion of marijuana. It appears as though more dogs than ever are getting into their owners’ stashes, perhaps as an indirect result of the recent decriminalization of marijuana in the state. Some vets note that the number of dogs treated has increased sharply since January 1, 2014 -- the date the law went into effect. The issue, it seems, is edibles. Owners baking pot brownies or pot cookies are accidentally leaving those goodies where dogs can reach. And while a bit of marijuana baked into a brownie might not pose a serious health risk to an adult human with the self-control not to eat an entire batch, dogs are much smaller and aren’t known for their ability to stop eating before the plate is empty. Marijuana causes serious symptoms in dogs, with large doses resulting in urinary incontinence, disorientation, seizures, and even comas. Veterinarians have two suggestions for pet owners who also dabble in creative baking: Keep your edibles out of reach of your pups, and don’t hesitate in taking the dog to the vet if he does end up ingesting a plate of pot brownies. There’s no antidote for a marijuana overdose but your veterinarian can advise you on the best steps to take for getting your pup back to his happy, healthy self. About the Author: Craig Davis is VP of Vet Organics, a company which produces effective and safe natural remedies for dogs and cats.